i want to be him
12:20 AM
Tuesday, December 11, 2007
The jukebox plays my song:
"His eye is on the sparrow" {eng}
Lauren Hill & Yolanda Adams
"GET ME DEMARCHELIER!!"
...

"I HAVE PATRICK!!"

Oh! If only I had Patrick! No, not for any sort of intimate fantasies or sexual pleasure. lol! No. But for idoling and if I had him, I would definitely have him teach me all about photography, for me to become his disciple and for him to become my master. =D

If you've watched 'The Devil wears Prada' - you're probably familiar with those two lines of dialogue - where Miranda Priestly (Meryl Streep) tells Andy (Anne Hathaway), "Get me Demarchelier!" leaving her utterly confused, and the first assistant Emily replying, "I have Patrick!" And if you love photography (like me ^-^), you'll most likely know Patrick Demarchelier, a world-renowned fashion photographer who has worked for the likes of Harper's Bazaar, Vogue, Mademoiselle, Rolling Stone and GQ. Oh, forget about having him - instead I want to be him!! ^.~ And you'll see why - he shoots amazing photos, especially black and white photographs which I absolutely love. I recommend checking out his gallery at his website. ^^ You all know that I love photography and I figured out that it was time to make a post on an inspiring photographer, one of the many whom I admire so much. And so, this post on photography/photographers shall be the first of the many to come. ^^...And I think to myself, I wouldn't mind becoming an art stylist/art director too...^^
Well, there are tens and hundreds of Demarchelier's photos that I want to post but if I do, I'm sure I'll lag your internet and that would be horrid, wouldn't it? lol. So I'll just give you a small insight into his portfolio, selecting a few of my favourites. =]

This photograph featuring model: Natalia Vodianova was shot for Vanity Fair (01/05). I remember browsing randomly through Demarchelier's website and I came across this photograph. It was to be the second black and white photograph that I would adore forever. I don't know my photography techniques (but one day I will learn! ^^) however what I do know is that he has captured something so delicate, fragile, beautiful and whimsical all at once. The smooth, flowy material (chiffon? silk?) against the ancient, crumbling balcony makes it even so much more beautiful.




Another black and white photo. Gosh, if only I had learnt ballet when my mum had told me to at the age of 6 and perhaps, I would be able to place my feet into that position above (I know there's a name to this stance...).






Who doesn't love Gemma Ward? I love her so and doesn't she look angelic here? So innocent as well. I guess that's why the shoot was titled La citee des anges (also featuring Du Juan). And we all love refridgerators because it stores wonderful food inside. lol! ^.~ This was shot for French Vogue 10/05.

Naomi Campbell - one of the most talked about supermodels - infamous and yet, famous simultaneously. Nevermind about that. She looks gorgeous in such a simple and plain outfit: black turtleneck and white pants. And in her arms, a lovely boy. This photo makes me feel so warm and tender inside.





Shot for American Vogue 12/04 and titled Paradise. love, love, love , LOVE!! Wouldn't I love to have her body, wear that blue dress, stand on white soft sand and have the sparkling water sweep me off my feet. Yes, that would be a touch of paradise. Ahhhh, definitely. =D
Du Juan - one of the famous chinese models. She's gorgeous and I love her so! (Although I don't recommend smoking. )



I love these two black and white photos (above and below). The above photo was the first black and white photo in Demarchelier's portfolio that I fell in love with. The rigidity, the stances, the compactness (is there such a word?) and just everything - this photo hit me. You know you love a photo when it just hits you and captures your eyes and heart. It just hits you.

And below, featuring Du Juan once again in a shoot titled La citee des anges for French Vogue 10/05 (also featuring Gemma Ward). How gorgeous is she and that dress.!! My third most favourite black and white photo. At first I thought of her running away but then I looked closely and I thought she hears that her lover has returned home after a long time, perhaps due to war or business. She runs out of her room and down the corridors of the large house as seen below in the photo, running to meet her lover who is waiting at the door. And the man waiting at the door, with a suitcase at his feet just smiles tenderly. Aaah!! I'm too mushy!! =p



Okay, so I said a few photos. . .
I lied. =p


Hugs and kisses, Cotton Candy

Labels: , , , ,


FEMME

cotton-candy. student. daughter. sister. bopper. lover. giggler. lazy. hopeless romantic. dreamer. vulnerable. gullible. perfectionist. INSPIRED.

A PEEK INTO HER WORLD...NOW

a girl who loves. a girl who dreams. a girl whose dreams do not define her...yet. until that day, she'll continue to dream here...


ALL THAT GLAMOUR IN HER EYES


music/ lounging around/ fashion/ the saxophone/ mr.darcy/ giggling&laughing/ hot chinese tea/ THE 1940s/ candles/ photography/ designer handbags/ dreaming/ interior designing/ the acoustic guitar/ avocado milkshakes/ swooning/ earrings/ vintage/ my christian dior 'old skool' sunnies/ happy endings/ oriental teapots/ romantic comedies/ musicals/ antiques with a victorian or ancient china feel/ baroque chairs in gold and plush velvet/ money/ edwardian sofas/ lipgloss/ lemon tea/ oh- so- beautiful dresses/ travelling/ graphic designing/ singing in the shower/

DIRTY DANCING TO THE JUNGLE BEAT


A SERIES OF PINK CRUSHES

[10 MOST RECENT POSTS]

S2VL

WHIMSICAL DELIGHTS © 2007
s.whimsicaldelights.gmail.com

FRIVOLOUS INSPIRATIONS

she wears

the private world

out & about

mr.man

makes my tummy rumble

flirtatious mind

they wear

films/dramas

i am the paparazzi

anime/manga

driving

all things chinese

inspired

all things jap

gardening flowers

music

street fashion

uni

champagne high

colour me in


ALL THAT JAZZ

Personal Blogs - BlogCatalog Blog Directory

Blog Flux Directory

web stats

View My Stats

Add to Technorati Favorites

Blogarama - The Blog Directory

MY SIMPLE FAVOURITE

"Nonsense and beauty have close connections."

— E. M. Forster

"I believe in pink. I believe that laughing is the best calorie burner. I believe in kissing, kissing a lot. I believe in being strong when everything seems to be going wrong. I believe that happy girls are the prettiest girls. I believe that tomorrow is another day, and I believe in miracles."

— Audrey Hepburn

"What is life but a series of inspired follies?"

— George Bernard Shaw

"Elegance is not the prerogative of those who have just escaped from adolescence. But of those of us who have already taken possession of our future."

— Coco Chanel

"People who say that yesterday was better than today are ultimately devaluing their own existence"

— Karl Lagerfeld

THANK YOU

LAND OF MAKE (&) BELIEVE

Google

PICTURE PERFECT

Photo: Foto Decadent

Textures: Carton
Squid Fingers

Brushes: Romance Box
Funeral Monster

Designer: Provocative

Lyrics: Banana Pancakes - Jack Johnson